Sunday, October 19, 2008

Marks & Spencer Crinkle Potato Crisps Honey Roast Ham

My first review!! The name itself sounds delicious enough so I decided to give it a try. I always love Marks & Spencer food stuff. It is just tastier than other brands in the market and hopefully the same can be said for its potato chips.

Pardon my noobish photography skills. I just started playing with my sister's new DSLR camera so all that aperture settings and shutter speed thingy are alien to me.

There are many markings and labels on the package stating "healthier option", "reduced fat", "cooked in healthier oil", "eat well"..........hmmm. Well when I started this journey, I already know that the ending will be ugly. Potato chips are not healthy snacks but this brand states "healthier option" oo nice play of words.

The packaging comes in the standard Marks & Spencer colour scheme and a few unappealing pictures of crisps on the front. Btw, crisps and potato chips are the same but I prefer using chips.

I noticed the expiry date is near (1 more week only, maybe kept in storage for long period? Or less preservatives? Just speculations).

Made in Denmark and imported here. Yay I love import stuff, they are just more prestigious and gives you that feel good factor. Somehow this does not apply to imported Malaysia food stuff (Not that I dislike Malaysia.......actually I love their cheap and nice tidbits but no prestigious factor lol). Haiz, talking about Malaysia and all the memories of that girl comes flooding back. I still remember what flavour of chips she likes (BBQ only) and which brand she prefers (Pringles) and all the other stuff..................ok back to my review :(

I noticed this strange label at the back that says "Suitable for vegetarian". Wow, potato chips that are suitable for vegetarian! There must be some really fanatic vegetarian potato chips eater out there that insists on usage of non-animal derivatives only. Not a problem for me I guess.

A side-by-side comparison of the packet with a sheet of standard A4 size paper.

Not many people bother about the nutrition value of potato chips. Neither do I care, but for the sake of this review I took a picture. You can scrutinise it all you want. There is also a label (not in picture) that claims no MSG was used.

I guess the ladies will be more concerned about this due to the amount of carbohydrate or fat as they are obsessed with their figures. There are also people concerned with the sodium content. If people are really so concerned about all these, I think they shouldn't even eat potato chips! Its like going to a pub and asking the bartender about the alcoholic content because you are afraid of getting drunk.

Ingredients list ... nothing out of the ordinary. Contains Barley? But hey, really no MSG here.

Not that I am saying potato chips must be salty and loaded with fat but that is the basic content of a pack of chips. If its too salty, eat less or share it with friends or something. There are simpler solutions in life and I am not going to give up on a tasty pack of chips just because of high sodium content or whatever.

Ok enough of that, I'll start of with the packaging of the potato chips. The packet is quite compact with little air packed inside. I hate buying those chips where they look all inflated and huge but when you open it up, the content is like 30% of the size of the packet. This one is more like 50% filled with chips. The label states 150 grams as the weight. The seal is rather easy to open and tears up with ease. The chips are all crinkle cut (my favourite). I feel that crinkle cut ridged chips are crunchier, have a better texture and elude the flavour better compared to normal thin straight cuts.

The chips are covered in some finely chopped up green parsley. No idea how that helps in the taste but it does make the chips look more appealing.

I always have a habit of sniffing the freshly opened bag of chips before digging in. Ahhh heavenly! The smell of smoked ham? I thought it was supposed to be honey roasted ham or maybe I just can't tell the difference. It's coincidence that I had some smoked sausage for my dinner so I must say the distinct smoked smell is very convincing.

Now for the tasting! First piece, the initial mouthful gave me a tinge of sweetness which is subdued immediately and overcome by a slightly bitter, burnt aftertaste. The chips are not salty or all although they look like its covered from head to toe with salt (maybe MSG).

After a few more pieces, that BBQ soot-like burnt flavour is really taking hold in my breathe. Maybe this is a "highlight" for people who love honey roasted ham or is this a QC problem? I have no idea but it's quite a turn off. I finished the packet easily and this is my verdict:

Looks: 4/5
Textual: 4/5
Smell: 4/5
Taste: 2/5

Overall: 2/5

I would love to add up the score and divide up to get the overall but I feel the taste component is the most important part of eating potato chips. I wouldn't want to spend money to buy some nice looking and fragrant chips that taste horrible. With this kind of score, doubt I will be trying it again any time soon............maybe until I forget about the burnt flavour.


Other info
Weight: 150 grams
Price: S$4.90
Country of origin: Denmark
Available at: Marks & Spencer, Great World City branch

No comments: